<$BlogRSDURL$>
Friday's Brain
Tuesday, March 02, 2004
 
Wow. So what's the hot topic of the day?

I went to see The Passion of the Christ on Saturday with a friend. Said friend is as much of a card-carrying Christian as I am a card-carrying non-Christian. That didn't cause any sort of awkwardness, because the film had a strong impact on each of us, although for different reasons. I think that for her, the reason was pretty straightforward. For me, not so much. I think that basically, the film is pretty powerful, regardless of your belief. For me, it really made me think. First, I felt very strange in the theater. In that sort of "they're going to find out you're an imposter" way that I always had when I went to church. yet, I really wanted to see the film. Next, I wondered if I would be able to discuss the film openly with my friends of the Christian persuasion without feeling defensive about my own beliefs or making them feel defensive about theirs. Most of the discussions I've had with Christians about faith haven't turned out well. I don't feel the need to defend my position. In my brain, what works for me doesn't have to work for you, and vice versa. So I never understand it when someone wants me to prove what I think to them. I don't want their proof, either, and often they seem all to compelled to give it. Regardless, I've been thinking about spiritual stuff.

Mostly, what kept occurring to me after watching the film was that, although I knew the ending already, I kept hoping that something would change to alter the way the story goes. JC is up there with Pilate, and I kept finding myself thinking, "maybe he'll let him go." JC is being brutally beaten by the Romans, and I'm thinking, "why does he let it go on so long? He could just stay down, and they'd stop." I found myself having little moments like this throughout. I must be a product of a generation that expects a happy ending every time. I suppose that were I a follower of that religion, that I would consider the actual ending happy. That's sort of the whole basis behind the religion. Instead, I found myself empathizing with a man who truly believed that by sacrificing himself he was saving people. And not just people, all people for all time. I couldn't really wrap my brain around it. I have always admired people whose faith is so strong that they don't question it. I have relatives who possess it, and friends, but it is not something I have myself. I can't imagine the kind of faith it requires to do such a thing , believing and trusting in an outcome that can't be pedicted, much less seen. Its magnitude is practically overwhelming.

I'm sure there will be more on this later.

Today's Weather: Gorgeous! 70 and sunny!
Song going through my head: the Sheryl Crow remake of "The First Cut is the Deepest"
 
Comments: Post a Comment
the title of this blog is in imitation of a friend and former camp counselor's clipboard. she called it her brain. so this is mine. i imagine that it will turn out to be mostly a collection of ramblings and interesting finds, most likely read only by the author herself.

Me, at the moment...

How am I feeling?

How am I feeling?

What am I reading?

Music? All sorts.

In my free time? Mostly, studying up on my STN command-line searching skills.

Last movie I saw? Rented: Watched Batman Begins again last night at home. In a theatre: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! At the IMAX! Before that: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! In the regular theater!

How's the weather where I am?

The WeatherPixie


Blogs of people I know:

Caligulawyer

Capital City Desk

Quest for Coffee, by my buddy Daryn.

just be

Verdone Unit

Bollywool

in a loud voice


More info:

ISTJ spoken here.

Cancer sun, Cancer rising, moon in Libra.

Born in the year of the snake.

Here's what the World's Easiest Personality Test says about me!


ARCHIVES
02.04 / 03.04 / 04.04 / 05.04 / 06.04 / 07.04 / 08.04 / 09.04 / 11.04 / 08.05 / 09.05 / 03.06 / 10.06 / 11.06 / 09.07 / 07.08 /


Site Meter