<$BlogRSDURL$>
Friday's Brain
Thursday, March 11, 2004
  Ahh, spring break...
So technically this week has been my spring break. So far, I've worked more than I work in a normal week. I've filled in for people who couldn't make it to work for various reasons, and I've spent my normal amount of time there. But not today. Today I took off the 1.5 hours that I normally work before my evening class. Today I got up early and drove three hours to the ocean. Specifically, to Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. I had never been there and wasn't certain I wasn't going to get horrifically lost somewhere in eastern NC. But I didn't, and I got there around 11 a.m. On the way, I passed through several eastern NC towns and small cities, and then I began to notice the way that the vegetation and architecture begin to change as one approaches the coast. I guess it's the same everywhere. I knew I was getting closer to the beach when the land flattened out (duh!), the tall pines began to be replaced by shorter scrubby trees, and the houses began to have fewer chimneys and more clapboard. Soon I'm crossing more bridges that span creeks and tidal rivers, and I'm seeing more and more water towers and summer homes boarded up for winter. Then I'm there.

I swear I must have come from the ocean. I love the beach, especially this time of year. I don't actually care much for swimming in the ocean, just watching it. There was an older couple walking down the deserted beach when I arrived, hand in hand, looking at shells. There are so many more nice shells on the beach before it's raided by tourists and summer people. I walked for about an hour, staked out a nice spot in the sand, and sat on my blanket to watch the surf. I brought along a notebook to write in. I spent about two hours doing that. I watched the few people who walked past, sometimes alone, sometimes in groups, often with a dog. Mostly, I just took some time for myself, listening to the waves crash on the shore. I miss living near the water. I'll have to go back more often. It's been a long time since I just took some time out for myself.

Today's Weather: It was sunny and about 62 at the coast today. Another cold front moves in tonight, though.
Song going through my head: White Flag, by Dido.
 
the title of this blog is in imitation of a friend and former camp counselor's clipboard. she called it her brain. so this is mine. i imagine that it will turn out to be mostly a collection of ramblings and interesting finds, most likely read only by the author herself.

Me, at the moment...

How am I feeling?

How am I feeling?

What am I reading?

Music? All sorts.

In my free time? Mostly, studying up on my STN command-line searching skills.

Last movie I saw? Rented: Watched Batman Begins again last night at home. In a theatre: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! At the IMAX! Before that: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! In the regular theater!

How's the weather where I am?

The WeatherPixie


Blogs of people I know:

Caligulawyer

Capital City Desk

Quest for Coffee, by my buddy Daryn.

just be

Verdone Unit

Bollywool

in a loud voice


More info:

ISTJ spoken here.

Cancer sun, Cancer rising, moon in Libra.

Born in the year of the snake.

Here's what the World's Easiest Personality Test says about me!


ARCHIVES
02.04 / 03.04 / 04.04 / 05.04 / 06.04 / 07.04 / 08.04 / 09.04 / 11.04 / 08.05 / 09.05 / 03.06 / 10.06 / 11.06 / 09.07 / 07.08 /


Site Meter